Skip to main content

Lucy Cavendish College is a truly global student community and international students make up a significant proportion of our student population. We have a long history of admitting and supporting students from all over the world.

We offer a unique student experience: one that combines the historic traditions and world-leading education for which Cambridge is renowned with a modern, informal, home-from-home environment in our College. The College houses a vibrant, diverse, international community, with a mission to address scientific, social and technological global challenges.

Our world map shows the countries our current students come from.

Made with Padlet


We welcome applications from talented international students and hope this page provides you with everything you need to know about applying to the University of Cambridge (as well as Lucy Cavendish College more specifically). However, if you do have any further questions, our friendly admissions team are always on hand and can be emailed via

Meet our international students

Some of our international students have kindly shared their journeys to Cambridge and their experiences of adapting to life in the UK.


You need to be studying towards a qualification equivalent to A Levels, the International Baccalaureate (IB), or Advanced Placement (AP) courses. We may also accept the first year of an undergraduate degree at a university outside the UK. You should be achieving top marks in all subjects studied. Entrance requirements for a range of international qualifications can be found here -

It is essential that your English language skills are good enough for you to undertake an intensive and challenging academic course that is taught and examined in English. You may be asked to achieve a specific English language qualification as part of your offer condition. You will likely not need to prove your knowledge of English if you’ve completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in a predominately English-speaking university or if you are currently attending an English speaking secondary school.  Please contact us if you would like to discuss whether you would be required to take an English language qualification.

The level of tuition fees for international students varies depending on the course you are studying. You can find further information here -


All international/overseas fee status students will normally have to pay College fees in addition to University tuition fees. The College fee covers the cost to the College of providing a range of educational, domestic and pastoral services and support. College fees for 2021-21 are published in the following document - 

The College is raising money to provide financial support for international students and we hope to have a number of awards available soon. In addition to this, international offer-holders are supported by the College to apply for University-wide funding, such as The Cambridge Trust Scholarships and a small number of country-specific scholarships. You can find out more here: 


No, it’s not possible to apply to undergraduate courses at both Cambridge and Oxford in the same year/UCAS application.

No, international students apply in the same way as other applicants. All applicants to the University of Cambridge must complete and submit a UCAS application online by the relevant application deadline.  

Students are members of both the University and of a College. Colleges are your home and your base whilst you are at the University.  They provide you with access to academic, social, and recreational facilities, academic and pastoral support and a student community.  You can find out more information about the College system here: 

In pre-Covid times, most interviews took place in Cambridge in early December, but the University also conducted a number of interviews overseas. In 2020 all interviews, including overseas ones, were conducted online.  The University policy for 2021 is currently being determined.  You can find out more here:


 The University of Cambridge does not accept transfer students, so if you wish to study an undergraduate course here, then you would need to apply to start the course from the beginning. Similarly, we do not accept the transfer of credits obtained from another university. Some students do join us each year after having already studied for at least one year in their home country in order to meet our entry requirements, but they start their courses from the beginning.

At the University of Cambridge we offer some joint honours courses, however these are not the same as majors and minors. Generally, at Cambridge you study a single subject, or a couple of associated subjects, in great detail: covering the subject area very broadly in the initial years and then specialising in the later years. This means that you go into much more detail in a subject than you would in a Liberal Arts style degree course.  As a result, our courses are particularly suitable for students who wish to go into an associated career, or further study, straight after their undergraduate degree.

Our courses are divided into 'Parts', with each Part lasting one or two years. In each Part, you take a number of 'papers' (subjects, topics) – some of these are compulsory papers that all students must take; and some are optional. You must pass exams in two Parts to graduate with an Honours degree, and all of our degrees lead to the award of a BA (Hons).

Due to the intensity of study at the University of Cambridge, Undergraduate students are expected not to work during term-time, but can work or pursue career opportunities, like internships, during the holiday breaks.

Check out this video on how to apply for undergraduate study at Cambridge University as an international applicant