Skip to main content

We welcome students of all ages at Lucy Cavendish College. We have a long tradition of supporting mature students and you will feel at home in our diverse community.

What are mature and affiliated students?

Mature students are students over the age of 21 years on 1st October in the year of entry.  Affiliated students are those who already hold a Bachelor’s degree and are pursuing a second undergraduate degree.

I don't have A-levels.  Can I still apply to Cambridge?

Yes, of course.  We will also consider other qualifications including:

  • HE Access Diplomas - the Access to Humanities & Social Sciences Diploma provides good grounding for many arts and humanities courses. We would expect a Distinction in all relevant modules.

  • Certificates of Higher Education - such as those offered by the Open University.

Unfortunately, Access to Science courses are not usually considered by the University to be suitable preparation on their own for science degrees. For more information, please contact our Admissions Office (

How do I apply as a mature student?

University applications are made through UCAS. The general undergraduate pages of the University of Cambridge website offer a wealth of information on how to apply, including videos, interview advice and advice on course choices.  Other sources of information include:

  • Specific guidance for mature students is available on the University of Cambridge Mature Students and the Mature Student Applications web pages. You may also wish to see the video webinar Applying to Cambridge for Mature Students:

  • The Student Room has an 'over 21' thread where the Admissions Director of Lucy Cavendish will answer your questions.

Can I get funding as a mature student?

Cambridge University has its own pages devoted to fees and funding for undergraduate students. Information on funding for mature students can be found on the website and you can check if you are eligible for funding here. There are also additional grants and bursaries for adult learners which may include an Advanced Learner Loan. Further information on possible sources of funding for students aged 19+ can also be found on the Money Saving Expert website.