The BA in Music has a strong academic component and covers a broad range of music, as well as a variety of approaches to thinking about and understanding music. Many graduates enter professions related to music; others pursue careers in publishing and the media, academia, arts administration, banking, law, public service and the charity sector.
Typical offers require
- A Level: A*AA
- IB: 40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level
For other qualifications, see the main entrance requirements pages on the University website.
- A Level/ IB Higher Level in Music
- ABRSM Grade 8 Theory at Merit and above may be accepted as a substitute.
- Applicants should be familiar with Western classical repertoire and have experience of writing about music.
- A well-developed musical ear, some facility at the keyboard, and some proficiency in harmony and counterpoint are also desirable.
Number of students
We aim to admit around two students per year.
There's no common format written assessment for Music – we will assess aptitude, knowledge base and potential through tasks at the time of interview (if interviewed).
Applicants are required to submit two school/college essays as examples of written work prior to interview.