The BA in Music has a strong academic component and covers a broad range of music, as well as a variety of approaches to thinking about and understanding music. Many graduates enter professions related to music; others pursue careers in publishing and the media, academia, arts administration, banking, law, public service and the charity sector.
Typical offers require
- A Level: A*AA
- IB: 40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level
For other qualifications, see the main entrance requirements pages on the University website.
- A Level/ IB Higher Level in Music
- ABRSM Grade 8 Theory at Merit and above may be accepted as a substitute.
- Applicants should be familiar with Western classical repertoire and have experience of writing about music.
- A well-developed musical ear, some facility at the keyboard, and some proficiency in harmony and counterpoint are also desirable.
There's no common format written assessment for Music – we will assess aptitude, knowledge base and potential through tasks at the time of interview (if interviewed).
Applicants are required to submit one or two school/college essays as examples of written work prior to interview.